06 Jun How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?
Posted at 13:19h in Expert tips
- Encourage your baby to eat her full meals during the day. Make daytime feeds social and lively and night time feeds calm and quiet to help her distinguish between day and night.
- Allow your baby to settle herself to sleep from six weeks onwards.
- Set a consistent bedtime routine such as bath, massage, change into her pyjamas and then a bed time story.
- Give her a security object such as a blanket or stuffed animal.
- If your baby cries after putting her down to sleep, go to her. Pat her gently and tell her that its time for sleep. Then leave for a couple of minutes, then check again.
- Tune into your baby’s needs. During the day you can make her feel secure by carrying her in a sling. If she wakes in the night check her nappy,is it wet? Check her clothes-are they comfortable? Has she got a cold? Or a fever? Your baby might be trying to tell you what is bothering her.